After The Explosion That Caused Oxford Boy To Lose Hand, 25,000 Fireworks Were Recalled

  After The Explosion That Caused Oxford Boy To Lose Hand, 25,000 Fireworks Were Recalled

Grandma’s Fireworks is assembling around 25,000 fireworks after an explosion that caused a boy in Oxford to lose his hand.

All of the fireworks were sold at Grandma’s Fireworks in West College Corner, Indiana from January 2009 through April 2019.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission stated the recall is due to fireworks being loaded with pyrotechnics intended to create an audible effect, violating the federal regulatory standard for this product.

The overloaded fireworks can happen in a greater than expected explosion, posing an explosion and burn hazards to consumers, the recall alert stated.

Hannon said she did not know the fireworks broke federal regulations because the manufacturer in China mislabeled them.

The recall alert cited two 12-year-old boys who were injured after an explosion in March likely caused by a broken Talon rocket, which is one of the fireworks being recalled.

The explosion, which took place on March 19 on East Withrow Street near off-campus college housing, caused one of the boys, Caleb Bogan, to lose his hand.

The other boy, Brendon Jones, suffered minor injuries.

“I’m glad the fireworks got recalled because I wouldn’t want anybody to get through this because it is not something that you would want to go through,” Bogan stated.

The recall said the Oxford Police Department examined the fireworks and worked with CPSC to start the recall.

The recall said the boys found the broken end of a Talon rocket and burned it.

The Talon rocket is listed on the recall notice as being sold in $40 packs.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission stated anyone who bought the fireworks should quickly stop using them and return them to Grandma’s Fireworks for a full refund.

CPSC has not said if these fireworks could be on shelves at other stores.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.