Thousand More U.S. Troops Are sending to the Middle East from Pentagon

Thousand More U.S. Troops Are sending to the Middle East from Pentagon

The Defense Department declared it is deploying 1,000 more U.S. troops to the Middle East “for defensive purposes” amid growing tensions with Iran.

Acting U.S. Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan stated on Monday in a statement that the action, meant to address air, naval, and ground-based threats, comes after “a request from the U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) for extra forces.”

The Trump administration has accused Iran of a series of attacks on oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman.

“The recent Iranian attacks prove the reliable, credible intelligence we have received on hostile behavior by Iranian forces and their proxy groups that threaten United States personnel and interests across the country,” Shanahan stated.

The statement did not mention the type of personnel being deployed. Officials told NPR that the troops are primarily intelligence,  surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR); force protection; and engineers.

The announcement is the latest in a series of deployments of extra forces to the Gulf country as the U.S. continues to blame Iran of attacks on commercial shipping and threats to U.S. troops and interests. The deployments began last month when the U.S. sent an aircraft carrier strike group to the region along with Patriot missile batteries and several thousand troops whose mission is defensive in nature.”The United States does not seek conflict with Iran,” Shanahan said. “The action today is being taken to ensure the safety and welfare of our military personnel working throughout the country and to protect our national interests. We will continue to monitor the situation diligently and make adjustments to force levels as necessary given intelligence reporting and credible threats.”

The Trump administration has been trying to convince some U.S. allies, primarily Germany and Japan, that Iran is responsible for the alleged attacks on the Gulf oil tankers. The Pentagon has published new photos designed to back up its claims.

Earlier Monday, Iran threatened to exceed limits on uranium stockpiles set by the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, an international agreement that sought to curb that country’s nuclear ambitions in exchange for an easing of penalties.

President Trump withdrew the U.S. from that deal. Now the Iranians hope to pressure European countries to avoid U.S. sanctions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.